Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Meet Fast Forward Presenter >> Carl Stanton

What is your Big Idea for Philadelphia?
SEPTA is Fine (But it Could be Better): How the Future of Philadelphia will be Determined by its Public Transit.


As Philadelphia continues it renaissance and growth of the past 10 years, the improvement of public transit is crucial to that success. During Philadelphia's last growth period (1920's through 1950's) trolleys ran all over the place, and Passenger rail ran to Places such as Allentown and Reading. The rise of the automobile and Philadelphia manufacturing decline, much of that was lost. As Philadelphia grows again, so too must its public transit. In my presentation I will discuss transit that was lost in Philadelphia, things that were planned by never built, and how those can inform future transit growth. This will include: Planned subway extensions, Discontinued rail service, as well as expansions in the works, such as King of Prussia rail, Bus Rapid Transit on the Boulevard, and Septa Key. In addition I will discuss of other cities that have successfully grown their transit systems, and how their success can help Philadelphia's needed transit expansions succeed.






Cstanton(at)rossbar.com
@CarlMacyStanton
Carl is an Industrial Designer and self-proclaimed Public Transit Geek who travels by public transit and enjoys reading.  Currently Carl works as a consultant designing Communication and Train Control Systems for Transit Agencies.  During Graduate School Carl completed a thesis project about trains, and has ridden over 20,000 miles on Amtrak (Voluntarily).  Before Carl became a Designer he was a teacher, IT support person, and carpenter, but he has always been a Public Transit geek.  In his free time, Carl likes to play Ultimate Frisbee and Strategy games. 

"Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to have woken up, I am alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it, I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings, I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others, I am going to benefit others as much as I can. "
- H.H. the XIV Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment